michele schumacher - scholars of adrienne series
The mission of this website is dedicated to advancing the theological study of Adrienne von Speyr. As such, I am beginning a new series on highlighting the best scholars who have and are working on understanding the world of Adrienne von Speyr. The first scholar I would like to highlight in this series is Dr. Michele Schumacher, a private docent on the theology faculty of the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, who has been a regular speaker and writer for important Catholic institutions and publications in Europe and the United States.
Dr. Schumacher’s most important work so far on Adrienne is her excellent study A Trinitarian Anthropology: Adrienne Von Speyr and Hans Urs Von Balthasar in Dialogue With Thomas Aquinas, published by CUA Press in 2014, and will stand for a very long time as the definitive work on Adrienne’s theological anthropology. I love many things about this book, especially in-depth study of the intimate theological connections between Adrienne and Balthasar.
As you will see below, she has several articles and chapters demonstrating her great accomplishments with furthering the theological study of Adrienne. Enjoy!
Selected Bibliography (available in English)
- A Trinitarian Anthropology: Adrienne Von Speyr and Hans Urs Von Balthasar in Dialogue With Thomas Aquinas (Washington, D.C.: CUA Press, 2014)
- Woman in Christ: Toward a New Feminism (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2004)
- "The Meaning of Freedom and the Redefinition of Marriage," Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought and Culture 18(2015):113-122
- A Theological Anthropology: Adrienne Von Speyr and Hans Urs Von Balthasar in Dialogue With Thomas Aquinas. Washington, D.C.: Catholic University Press of America, 2014.
- "Ecclesial Existence: Person and Community in the Trinitarian Anthropology of Adrienne von Speyr," Modern Theology 24 (2008): 359-385
- “Ecclesial Existence: Person and Community in the Trinitarian Anthropology of Adrienne von Speyr,” Modern Theology 24(2008): 359-385
- "A Speyrian Anthropology: The Expansion of Human Liberty to the Measure of the Divine," in Wisdom and Holiness, Science and Scholarship: Essays in Honor of Matthew L. Lamb, ed. Michael Dauphinais and Matthew Levering (Naples, FL: Sapientia Press, 2007), 315-352
- "A Speyrian Theology of the Body," in The Virgin Mary and Theology of the Body, ed. Donald Calloway (West Chester, PA: Ascension Press, 2005), 255-292
- "The Nature of Nature in Feminism, Old and New: From Dualism to Complementary Unity," in Woman in Christ: Toward a New Feminism, ed. Michele Schumacher (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2004), 17-51
- "The Concept of Representation in the Theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar," Theological Studies 60 (1999): 53-71